Saturday 8 October 2016

Boysetsfire - Old Angel, Nottingham, 2000

In 2000 me and Jacque took a trip south in our sub one litre corsa for a wee holiday, first stop was Harwich (well technically the first stop was some travel lodge off the motorway around Birmingham, well even more technically we stopped for petrol, food and a piss a few times before that too...) which is where I lived until I was 13, so I was going to show my other half my childhood haunts.

Despite being a few hundred miles further south than sunny Dundee, Harwich was fucking freezing and I only had a thin jacket so the first day wasn't that much fun as I basically lived at the beach when I was a kid, these lighthouses were at the bottom of my road, so most stuff I was going to revisit was exposed to the wind howling in off the sea.

So next day we went to Colchester which was where I used to go to buy lead figures at Games and Puzzles and music tapes from various stalls when I was young and warm. I didn't buy either on this trip though, I bought an insulated hoodie. For fucking summer.

Next day we attempted more sightseeing in Harwich so I had to show off my favourite playground, the war department. I loved this place, a maze of overgrown bunkers and gun emplacements linked by several (kind of, sort of blocked off) tunnels.



The wind was still blasting in over the north sea but I was toasty in my new jacket (so up yours nature) and enjoyed re-exploring the gun emplacements, Jacque was quite enjoying photographing the rust, ruin and graffiti .


















After our few days in Harwich it was back in the car and headed up to Nottingham to see our pal Alex who we hadn't seen for a few years since he moved down to paint orcs for Games Workshop.
I really liked Nottingham some nice buildings (although that is not a castle, it's just a big house) and parks. Robin Hood turned out to be a bit of a midget like...
A definite highlight was V1 a veggie fast food place, we were there for a week and I must have had about half a dozen burgers, oh look passing V1 again, best make the most of it as there's nothing like it in Dundee.
 On our last night we went out for some drinks, Alex had handily decided to live right in the middle of a bunch of pubs, one of which was the Old Angel and as luck would have it there was a gig on so in we went.
 Boysetsfire were headlining, american emohardcore type of thing who I'd heard of but never actually heard, quite enjoyable and they had a couple of good tunes. The locals couldn't stagedive for toffee, hopefully they took notes, use of the legs to obtain upward propulsion means your mates don't take your knees to their face, ken.







Also playing were Out For The Count, I enjoyed them more than BSF I think as I bought a demo tape off them after the gig:

And Forever Until October who I took one photo of and can remeber fuck all about them, I think they might have been playing when we got into the gig:

The next day we repacked the corsa and headed north deciding to just wing it instead of checking a map to make sure we knew where we were going.
It took a lot longer to get home than it really should have.

No comments: