Monday 2 February 2009

I wish I could fly...

I really do. Not to some far off exotic destination or anything like that. Or to soar above the trees and buildings like a bird. Just a short, self propelled flight off a stage or speaker stack into a packed pit.

Some would say i'm too old to continue such a pursuit, but i reckon you're never too old for anything, unless physically unable of course, I reckon I will always feel that urge when watching a band. It's just a shame that there's never enough folk at gigs these days to be able to dive. Then there is the problem of clubs having barriers now and security getting in the way. These two elements don't just piss me off as it impedes stagediving but it also impedes the other activity i partake in at gigs photography, as well as create a divide between band and audience which I feel in anathema to punk, hardcore and thrash.
Why do I love stagediving so much? It's the thrill I suppose, the flight, the impact, even the occasional crash into the floor all make me feel alive. Even being dived on in the crowd makes me happy. I find it synonymous with the music I love, and it looks frickin awesome unlike the current macho flailing in the middle of an empty dancefloor thing that seems so popular these days.

My first dive was at an Acid Reign gig in 1989 in the Edinburgh Venue, the best place for gigs ever. Getting to gigs back then was a bit hard as I was too young to drive and lived in Anstruther at the time, a village on the east coast of Scotland, just getting to the nearest train station took way over an hour on a bus which made me travel sick and there was no way to get back at the end of the night. Thanks Dad! Anyway I got dragged on stage by the singer somewhere in the first couple of songs and rather than look like a dork and just sidle off I figured it was as good a time as any to try stagediving. I didn't want to do one of those crap flop ones where you don't even go over the guys at the front of the stage, and end up looking like a tit, so, even though I was kinda brickin it, I went back to the amps for a nice run up and launched myself as hard as possible off the top of a monitor. Woooooooooaaaaaah motherfucker, what a perfect launch into oblivion, my heart was hammering faster than the drums as I flew over the crowd then it caught in my throat as i realised I was going to overshoot the whole pit altogether and would inevitable end up as a crumpled heap in the two foot of space between the seething pit and those calmly sipping their pints from plastic glasses. Oh man, I shoulda just been a dork. Luckily on the descent part of the flightplan I managed to grap the shoulder of the last dancer and between him and me, my head first collision into the wooden floor was saved into a passable uninjured landing. Well that was me hooked and for the next hour, grinning like a maniac, I dived my socks off, I actually got to the point of doing crap front row flops because I just couldn't muster anymore propulsion from my legs, my knees had turned to jelly but I still kept dragging myself bodily up onto the stage for just one more shot. One more hit. Please I need it. One more, c'mon play another song guys, I can still bend one knee...
I truly miss that hit, I think the last time I dived was off the top off the speakers the last time Bane played in Dundee which must be getting on for three years ago. That's just too long to remain grounded. OK then, time for a belated new year resolution, I'm going to lose weight so I can fly again.




Without killing anyone :)

2 songs for this post:
Gorilla Biscuits - New Direction
Time Flies - High Fives And Stage Dives

No comments: